January 10, 2014
Full text available
291. Torture and Popular Culture
Friday, 10 January, 12:00 noon–1:15 p.m., Indiana-Iowa, Chicago Marriott
Program arranged by the Division on Popular Culture
Presiding: Hillary L. Chute, Univ. of Chicago
1. “Shocking Media: The Abu Ghraib Photographs and Zero Dark Thirty,” Liz Maynes-Aminzade, Harvard Univ.
2. “Animal Cruelty: The Cinema of Kathryn Bigelow,” Christopher Pizzino, Univ. of Georgia
3. “Torture, Rebirth, and Revelation in V for Vendetta and Save the Green Planet,” Peter Yoonsuk Paik, Univ. of Wisconsin, Milwaukee
4. “Sites of Pain: The Expressive Work of Spaces of Torture in Video Games,” Mark Sample, George Mason Univ.